Puffy eyes means swelling around the eyes medically known as periorbital puffiness. Puffy eyes may be due to various reasons. In many cases, puffy eyes is a temporary condition (for example, from excessive crying, lack of sleep) and resolves on its own without any treatment but in some cases, it can be an indication of a medical condition (for example, allergies, conjunctivitis) that requires treatment, like orbital cellulitis which needs immediate medical attention.
Homeopathy is very beneficial to treat cases of puffy eyes. Homeopathic medicines work to reduce the swelling around eyes by targeting the root cause behind it. These medicines are recommended for mild to moderate cases where no serious cause is linked with puffy eyes. In cases where swelling is intense, or occurs along with certain symptoms (like high fever, eye pain, sudden vision changes, vision loss, bleeding from eyes, sudden swelling of the face, lips, throat or tongue, breathing problem and bulging eyes) indicating some serious ailment or when it is linked with some serious cause (like eye injury, cellulitis, anaphylaxis, cancer), it is strictly advised to take help from conventional mode of treatment on urgent basis.
As the causes vary for puffy eyes from case to case, it is advised to take homeopathic medicine under the guidance of a homeopathic doctor and never self-medicate. Homeopathic doctor can prescribe medicine after evaluating the case. He will decide whether the case is within the treatable parameters of homeopathy depending on the cause, if not, he will guide you toward timely conventional treatment.
Homeopathic Medicines For Puffy Eyes
1. Apis Mellifica – Top Grade Medicine
It is a leading medicine in homeopathy for managing cases of puffy eyes. In most cases needing it, the eyelids are swollen, puffy, and red. It is accompanied by a burning sensation and tight skin around eyes. Though the swelling may be present around or under eyes, mostly swelling is marked under the eyes like under-eye water bags. It is one of the best medicine for puffy eyes in case of allergies. In some cases needing it, there may be inflammation of conjunctiva. The conjunctiva is red and hot tears flow. Sensitivity to light may also be there. Other than the above, it is well indicated for puffy eyes in case of blepharitis. The eyelids are swollen and become thick with stinging pains.
2. Kali Carb – For Marked Swelling Above The Eyes
This medicine is prominent for managing swelling above the eyes. It is present between the eyebrows and the upper lid. It is also helpful in managing cases of swelling of eyelids from blepharitis. In some cases, along with swollen eyes, there is redness on the edges of eyelids. There may be watering from eyes also. The eyelids may be sticky in the morning.
3. Euphrasia – For Swollen Lids With Watery Eyes
It is prepared from the plant Euphrasia Officinalis, commonly known by the name ‘eye-bright’. This medicine works well on swollen eyelids with watery eyes which causes conjunctiva to become red. Burning on the margins of lids can also be there. A sensation of dryness on margins of eyelids is another accompanying symptom. Nasal discharge may also be present.
4. Rhus Tox – For Puffy, Itchy Eyelids
It is a very beneficial medicine for cases in which there are puffy eyes along with itching of lids. A biting and prickling sensation in lids can attend it. There is also shooting type of pain around the eyelids. Profuse watering from eyes is another accompanying feature. Sometimes there is dryness in the eys and heat in the eyelids.
5. Allium Cepa – For Swelling Around Eyes And Allergies
It is an important medicine for cases in which there is swelling around the eyes as a part of nasal allergies (allergic rhinitis). The symptoms of allergies that are present include excessive watering from eyes, sneezing and runny nose. Next, there can be pain in forehead.
6. Merc Sol – For Swollen Lids Along With Eye Watering And Burning
Merc Sol is a very useful medicine for cases of swollen lids accompanied by watery eyes and a burning sensation. Along with this, there is a sensation of a foreign body under the lids. This leads to pressive or cutting pains under the lids which causes difficulty in moving lids. Eyelids become sore and red. There also can be sensitivity to light.
7. Phosphorus – For Puffy Eyes And Blue Rings About Eyes
This medicine is indicated for cases in which there are puffy eyes along with blue rings around eyes. Frequent itching is felt in the eyes. Next, there can be sensitivity to light. In some cases, inflammation of eyes may be present with pressing burning pain.
8. Pulsatilla – For Swollen, Red Eyelids
It is a natural medicine prepared from plant named Pulsatilla Nigricans, commonly known as ‘wind flower’. It is helpful when the eyelids are swollen and red. Along with this, there can be sensation of dryness and burning heat in eyes. In cases needing it, there is a tendency of formation of stye (a localized infection of an oil gland in the eyelid margin) mainly on the upper lid.
Cause Behind Puffy Eyes
Puffy eyes are common in aged people. As a person ages, there occurs weakening of the tissues and muscles around eyelids. It results in falling of the normal fat (that helps to support the eyes) in the lower eyelid. This makes lids look puffy. There can be accumulation of fluid in lower eyelid with ageing which increases swelling. Next temporary cause is excessive crying. In the process of reabsorbing excessive liquid from eyes, some of it is retained in tissue under the eyes which makes it look puffy temporarily.
Other than the above reasons, it can simply occur from not taking enough sleep, excessive rubbing of eyes, poor diet and sun exposure. Puffy eyes can be hereditary. Mostly puffy eyes happen due to fluid retention in tissue around the eyes.
Following are the medical conditions that are related to it.
1. Allergies: The first medical condition that can lead to it is Among them, there is hay fever. Also known as allergic rhinitis, it can cause swollen under-eyes in addition to other symptoms like sneezing, runny nose, nasal congestion, itchy nose, red eyes, watery and itchy eyes, cough and post-nasal discharge. Allergy may also be from reaction to some food, chemical, insect bite, etc.
In some cases, it may occur from a severe life-threatening allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) that needs immediate medical help because it can be fatal if not attended to immediately. Anaphylaxis is a severe allergic reaction that causes swelling of the throat and tongue, difficulty in breathing, sudden drop in blood pressure, rapid pulse, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness and loss of consciousness mostly along with hives, which is a skin condition characterized by itchy, raised bumps on skin.
2. Conjunctivitis is inflammation of the transparent membrane called conjunctiva lining the white part of eyeball and eyelid. It can cause swelling of eyelids along with other symptoms, like redness in eyes, itching in eyes, eye discharge, excessive tears from eyes and grittiness in eyes (feeling of particle of sand in the eye).
3. Dermatitis is also one of the cause. In dermatitis there occur inflammation of the skin with red, itchy rash.
4. Blepharitis is an inflammation of the edges/margins of eyelid. Swollen eyelids can attend other symptoms like itchy eyelids, red eyes, watering from eyes, burning or stinging in the eyes, grittiness in the eyes, and sticking of the eyelid).
5. Orbital cellulitis is a serious condition in which there occurs infection of the soft tissues and fat within the eye socket. It needs urgent medical help as it can result in permanent vision loss and other severe complication like meningitis which is inflammation of the protective membranes that covers the brain and spinal cord.
6. Droopy eyelids(ptosis) is also a cause for it.
7. It may also occur in case of grave’s eye disease (thyroid eye disease).
8. Next it may happen from stye. Another cause is black eye from an injury, fracture of bony orbit.
9. It may also arise in cases of sinusitis (inflammation of mucous membranes lining the paranasal sinuses).
10. In females, it may be a fallout of PMS (premenstrual syndrome).
11. Apart from the above, in rare cases it can be from eye cancer.
What Other Symptoms May Occur With Puffy eyes?
Puffy eyes may occur along with other eye symptoms depending on the cause. These include itching in eyes, eye discharge, dry eyes, sensitivity to light, excessive tears from eyes and redness of eyes.
In some cases, puffy eyes occur along with nasal symptoms as in allergic rhinitis. These include sneezing, runny nose, stuffy nose, post-nasal drip. In some cases, sore throat, fatigue, headache and cough may also be present.
There are some serious symptoms which accompany puffy eyes that need urgent medical care, like high fever, bleeding from eyes, eye pain, sudden vision changes, vision loss, sudden swelling of the face, lips, throat or tongue, breathing problem and bulging eyes with pain, redness and fever.