Inflammation of the tongue is called glossitis. In this condition, the tongue becomes red and swollen. In some cases, the papilla (small raised protrusions) on the tongue may disappear. Glossitis is attended with pain and difficulty while eating and talking.
Homeopathic treatment for glossitis helps to reduce inflammation and swelling of the tongue. These medicines also help in relieving associated symptoms like pain and burning sensation on the tongue. Homeopathic medicines for treating glossitis are very safe and donot have any side effects.
Homeopathic Medicines for Glossitis
The top homeopathic medicines for treating glossitis are Merc Sol, Apis Mellifica, Belladonna, Crotalus Horridus, Nitric Acid and Natrum Mur.
1. Merc Sol – Top-grade Medicine For Glossitis
In cases needing it, the tongue is markedly red with intense pain and burning. Pain gets worse when any drink or food touches the tongue. At times shooting pain or needle-like pricking is felt on the tongue. In some cases, ulcers and vesicles (tiny fluid-filled bumps) may be present on the tongue. The tongue is always moist with an excessive production of saliva, along with an extremely offensive smell in the mouth. There is difficulty in eating due to the inflamed tongue.
When and How to use Merc Sol?
This medicine should be preferred as the first line of treatment for glossitis. Red tongue with pain and burning are its key indicating features. It can be used in both low and high potencies. To begin with, one may take Merc Sol 30C once or twice a day according to the intensity of the symptoms. Consider its higher potency only after consulting a homeopathic doctor.
2. Apis Mellifica – For Glossitis With A Burning Sensation
Apis Mellifica works well in cases of glossitis when it is accompanied by burning sensation. The tongue is fiery red and swollen. The tongue is dry with marked difficulty in swallowing food. At times, vesicles are present on the tongue along with a stinging sensation.
When and How to use Apis Mellifica?
Apis Mellifica can be used in cases where tongue is red, swollen with burning sensation. Though it can be used in different potencies like 30C, 200C and 1M, usually this medicine is recommended in 30C power. Apis Mellifica 30 C can be used twice or thrice a day as per severity of the problem.
3. Belladonna – For Glossitis When Tongue Is Very Sore To Touch
Belladonna is a natural homeopathic medicine for glossitis when the tongue is extremely sore to touch. Tongue is red and dry with heat. Cracks are also present on the tongue in some cases. There may be inflammation in the entire buccal cavity (mouth) and even in the pharynx. An offensive smell from the mouth, especially in the morning, may also be noted.
When and How to use Belladonna?
This medicine is suggested when the tongue is sore to touch along with redness. Consider using Belladonna 30C twice or thrice a day. If no changes are seen, Belladonna 200C can be used once a day.
4. Crotalus Horridus – For Glossitis When Tongue Is Fiery Red In Colour
It is an effective medicine for glossitis when the tongue is fiery red and extremely swollen. The tongue is smooth and appears as if it has been polished. Along with this, there is fetid breath or a moldy smell in the mouth. Frothy saliva may also be noted.
When and How to use Crotalus Horridus?
When tongue is fiery red, smooth and looks as if polished, this medicine can be taken. It is a strong medicine, so consider its use only after consulting a homeopath.
5. Nitric Acid – When Tongue Is Red And Dry Along With Fissures
This medicine is useful when the tongue is red along with dryness and fissures. It is attended with pain. The tongue is so sensitive that even soft foods cause pain. Blisters or ulcers on the tongue may appear along with burning and pricking pain.
When and How to use Nitric Acid?
This medicine is best to handle cases where the tongue is red, dry, cracked, painful and sensitive to touch. Its use can be done in 30C potency and the dose should be limited to just once a day. Do not self-medicate with its high potencies like 200C or 1M. Always seek homeopathic physician’s advice to use high potency.
6. Natrum Mur – For Geographic Tongue
Natrum Mur is helpful for cases of geographic tongue. In such cases, there are patches of red color on the tongue which look like a geographical map, hence the name. In some cases, ulcers or vesicles (tiny fluid-filled eruptions) appear on the tongue having burning smarting pain. Pain gets worse when food or drink touches it.
When and How to use Natrum Mur?
Its use is recommended for red patchy discoloration on the tongue. It is available in different potencies but the most frequently used is 6X potency, to be taken three to four times a day.
Causes of Glossitis
1. An allergic reaction: This may happen from oral care products (like certain toothpastes, mouthwashes), medicines (for example medicines to treat high blood pressure), and certain food items.
2. Mouth injury: This may happen when dentures/tooth braces irritate and injure the tongue, or if there are burns or cuts on the tongue.
3. Nutritional deficiency: Iron deficiency or low vitamin B12 levels are associated with glossitis.
4. Tongue Irritation from eating spicy food, alcohol or tobacco use.
5. Mouth dryness: It is medically known as xerotomia which in some cases can be a part of Sjogren’s syndrome in which dry mouth and dry eyes are the main symptoms. Dry mouth favours the growth of bacteria that can result in an inflamed tongue.
6. Certain infections: A viral infection, like herpes simplex, may lead to tongue inflammation though its main clinical feature is blistering around the mouth. It may also occur from bacterial/fungal/yeast infection in the mouth.
7. Symptom of disease: Tongue inflammation can be a symptom of a disease like celiac disease and pernicious anemia.
What Are The Signs And Symptoms Of Glossitis?
Signs: Main signs are redness and swelling of the tongue. In some cases, the tongue looks smooth and glossy due to the loss of papillae (small bumps) from the surface of the tongue
Symptoms: Pain, tenderness and burning sensation on the tongue, and difficulty while eating or speaking.
Types Of Glossitis
1. Acute glossitis: Tongue inflammation occurs suddenly with severe symptoms
2. Chronic glossitis: Tongue gets swollen from time to time due to some underlying health condition.
3. Atrophic glossitis: Loss of multiple papillae from the tongue.
4. Geographic tongue: Map-like pattern on the tongue in which smooth red patches appear on the tongue surrounded by white borders.
5. Median rhomboid glossitis: It usually happens from a fungal infection of the tongue.