A skin rash can be described as any change in the skin that can impact its color, texture or look. A rash can result in itching, chapping, blistering, swelling, change in color, etc. which may or may not be accompanied by pain. A skin rash can either be localized or it can spread to the entire body. Not only discomfort or pain, but a skin rash may also lower your self-esteem if it affects your looks. There are some skin rashes that disappear on their own, like the heat rash and swimmer’s itch, while there are others, such as rosacea and shingles, that call for medical intervention. Homeopathic remedies for skin rashes are comparatively safe and successful since they have practically no side effects, something which is very crucial for patients suffering from rashes.
Homeopathic Medicines for Skin Rashes
1. Sulphur – For Itchy Skin Rash
Sulphur is the best medicine to treat skin rash attended with itching. There may or may not be any eruptions on the skin. The itching may get worse at night disturbing sleep. On scratching, a burning sensation is felt in the affected area which later starts paining. Bleeding may start from the areas scratched. In some cases, the sensation of an insect crawling (formication) may be felt. Stitching or prickling sensation may occur too.
When and How to use Sulphur?
This medicine is used in case of skin rash that is very itchy to control itching and heal the skin rash. It works well in both low and high potencies. Initially, it is advised to take it in 30 C potency. In mild cases, Sulphur 30C can be taken once or twice a week but when the intensity of complaint is high, Sulphur 30C can be taken once a day. Do not self-medicate with higher potencies.
2. Apis Mellifica – For Rash With Stinging Burning Pains
This medicine is very effective for rash accompanied with stinging pain. The rash is red, itchy and sore (sensitive to touch). Itchiness may get better in open air. It is a leading medicine for rash in case of hives (raised bumps in the affected area). It is also prominently indicated for a rash in case of a bee sting, insect bites, heat rash, allergic dermatitis.
When and How to use Apis Mellifica?
Apis Mellifica is the best medicine for rash attended with stinging pain. The dose of this medicine recommended is Apis Mellifica 30 C once or twice a day depending on the intensity of the pain. Take a homeopathic physician’s opinion to use its higher potencies.
3. Belladonna – For Red Rash With Marked Heat
It is a natural medicine highly recommended for cases of red-colored rash attended with intense heat. The affected area is sensitive to touch. The rash may be localized or spread across the body in cases needing this medicine. It is well indicated for cases of acne rosacea, dermatitis and measles.
When and How to use Belladonna?
This medicine can be used in cases of red rash with marked heat. This medicine can be used in both low and high potencies. Initially, it is best to use 30C potency two to three times a day. To switch to high potencies, consider a homeopathic doctor’s advice.
4. Graphites – For Skin Rash With Blisters Oozing Sticky Fluid
Graphites is very helpful for skin rash when attended with the formation of blisters (fluid-filled bumps). Itching and burning may occur in blisters that discharge sticky fluid. Heat increases the eruptions. In most cases needing it the rash is present in skin folds like bend of elbow, back of knee, behind ears, groin, and neck. It is the best choice of medicine for cases of eczema.
When and How to use Graphites?
This medicine is apt for skin rash with blister formation and oozing of sticky fluid. This medicine is usually recommended in 3X potency. Graphites 3X (1 or 2 tablets) can be taken once or twice a day depending on the intensity of the complaint.
5. Petroleum – For Rough, Dry Skin Rash With Cracks On Skin
It is highly recommended for skin rash which is rough and dry. It may be attended with deep cracks that may bleed. The skin rash gets worse in winter in most cases needing it. It is highly preferred when there is an extremely dry skin rash in people suffering from eczema and psoriasis.
When and How to use Petroleum?
This medicine is used to treat dry rough skin often with cracks that bleed. It can be taken in 30 C potency once or twice a day.
6. Natrum Mur – For Rash With Fluid-Filled Eruptions
It is an important medicine when there are fluid-filled eruptions (vesicles) along with skin rash. Its use can be considered in different kind of skin rashes. Firstly, it can be used in cases of herpes zoster (skin rash with painful blisters caused by varicella zoster virus) and fever blisters (fluid-filled sores around the mouth and lips caused by herpes simplex virus). In these conditions rash occurs with bumps that contain watery fluid. Though given mainly for rash with fluid filled bumps, it is also suggested for cases of eczema with red, raw inflamed skin especially on edges of hair. Besides it can be used for sunburn, and hives with large red rash with marked itching which gets worse by exertion.
When and How to use Natrum Mur?
Natrum Mur is the most suitable medicine for skin rash with fluid-filled bumps. Natrum Mur works most effectively in 6X potency. Natrum Mur 6X can be taken three to four times a day at a minimum three-hour gap.
7. Arsenic Album – For Rash Covered With Scales/Flakes
Its use is suggested for cases of skin rash covered with scales/flakes. In cases needing it, there occurs a dry, rough skin rash with scaling. Itching and burning are marked on the rash. Its use can be done in scaly skin conditions like psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, etc.
When and How to use Arsenic Album?
Its use can be done in cases of skin rash covered with scales or flakes. It is used in different potencies from low to high but the most common in use is 30 C potency. Arsenic Album 30C can be taken once a day initially. If there is no improvement, consult a homeopath to increase the dose or potency.
Causes of Skin Rashes
The factors for skin rashes are as wide-ranging as the kinds of rashes themselves. Some of the common causes are as follows:
1. Dermatitis (skin inflammation):It is further of two types –contact dermatitis and atopic dermatitis.
Contact dermatitis – It is a common cause of skin rash that refers to an allergic reaction on the skin when it comes in contact with an allergen, like chemicals in cosmetics, soaps, detergents or dyes in clothing, alcohol-based lotions and elastic, rubber products.
Atopic dermatitis – Commonly seen in persons having other allergies and asthma, a skin rash appears which is red, dry, and itchy.
2. Use of certain medicines: A skin rash may appear either as a side effect or an allergic reaction to medicines. Some examples include antibiotics, NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflamatory drugs), anti-seizure drugs.
Fungal infections: ringworm, candida infection
Viral infections: Herpes Zoster/shingles which is a painful blistered skin condition caused by varicella zoster virus
4. Hives: Itchy, raised bumps (wheals) on skin usually caused by an allergic reaction
5. Seborrheic dermatitis: Red, inflamed skin covered by flakes or scales majorly on the scalp but may also involve areas like eyelashes, eyebrows, area behind ears
6. Scabies: Highly contagious skin condition caused by mite Sarcoptes Scabiei
7. Psoriasis: An autoimmune skin disorder in which red inflamed patches appear on the skin covered with silvery-white scales
8. Acne rosacea: Skin condition characterized by redness, flushing of the face and small pus-filled bumps
9. Food allergy: Eating certain specific foods like eggs, peanuts, milk, fish may trigger a skin rash.
10. SLE (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus): An autoimmune disease that causes joint pain, rash, fever, severe fatigue and organ damage
11. Heat rash (prickly heat): It causes tiny bumps on the skin caused from trapped sweat on the skin
12. Stings and insect bites
13. Cellulitis: Serious bacterial infection in the deep layers of the skin
14. Certain kinds of fever: typhoid fever, dengue fever
In children, some reasons for skin rashes are as follows:
1. Diaper rash: A skin rash on the baby’s bottom in the diaper area
2. Chickenpox: A viral infection caused by Varicella Zoster virus that leads to a rash with fluid-filled blisters on the skin
3. Measles: A viral infection caused by a virus of Paramyxovirus family leading to widespread skin rashes
4. Hand foot and mouth disease: It is a viral infection occurring in young children resulting in rashes on hands and feet along with sores in the mouth.
5. Impetigo: A superficial skin infection caused by Staphylococcus bacteria.
What Other Signs And Symptoms Attend Skin Rash?
A rash may be attended with itching and burning. It may be painful and sensitive to touch. Sometimes stinging, prickling sensation is felt in the rash. The skin can be dry, rough and cracked. Sometimes blisters are present on the rash that ooze fluid. At times, bleeding may occur from the rash upon scratching. In some of the rashes, scales/flakes are present on the surface.
Lifestyle Measures To Manage Skin Rash
1. Wear cotton clothes or soft fabrics
2. Use mild soaps
3. Keep the affected skin area dry in fungal infection cases
4. Don’t rub or scratch the affected skin area
5. Do not use hot water for washing affected skin
6. Avoid food items that can trigger a skin rash
7. Do not take medicines that you are allergic to.