Osteoporosis is a condition that results from reduced bone density. Bones become weak, brittle and are prone to fracture easily. Usually, this condition causes no pain or other symptoms and a person comes to know of it when a fracture occurs. Bones commonly affected in osteoporosis are hip bone, ribs, bones in the spine and wrist.
Homeopathic medicines are natural remedies for treating weak bones and the complications resulting from it. Natural homeopathic remedies for osteoporosis are very helpful in absorbing calcium from the bones and also in treating fractured bones. Homeopathic medicines also offer help in managing bone pain. It is to be noted that these medicines are not a substitute for treatment given in conventional mode for osteoporosis. Homeopathic medicines render supportive help along with conventional treatment to enhance bone strength, reduce pain related to brittle bones and contribute to bone repair in case of a fracture.
Homeopathic Medicines For Osteoporosis
1. Calcarea Phos – An Excellent Medicine For Thin, Brittle Bones
It is a leading homeopathic medicine for treating osteoporosis. It is mainly given to those patients of osteoporosis who have weak, soft, brittle bones which become crooked. Here it improves bone strength. It is well indicated when a person experiences pain in the hip bone. The pain can be shooting, drawing, stitching or tearing in nature. Calcarea Phos is also beneficial for those experiencing pain in the back due to weak bones. The pain may get worse from the least movement. There may be curvature of spine to the left in cases needing it. At times the lower back may be bent forward. Lastly, it also promotes healing of fractured bones.
2. Symphytum Officinale – To Treat Fractures in Osteoporosis
Symphytum Officinale is the best natural remedy for treating fractures in osteoporosis. It is commonly known as ‘knit bone’ and as the name represents it helps in knitting/uniting the fractured bone. This remedy helps in joining fractured bones very efficiently by promoting the activity of fibroblast cells. Fractures, where patients complain of pricking type of pain at the fractured site, can be greatly relieved by taking this natural medicine. It can also help in reducing irritability at the site of fracture. This medicine can be taken once the fractured bone is set in cast.
3. Silicea – When Bones Are Very Tender To Touch
This medicine is suggested for cases in which the bones are sensitive and tender to touch. It can be especially considered for spinal curvatures mainly to the right side. It is accompanied with pain on touch and movement. In some cases, a burning sensation can be felt in the back. It gets worse in open air. Silicea can be taken when a person has pain in lower back on stooping and on rising from a seat. Silicea is also very helpful where pus or fistula formation has occurred at the site of fracture. Lastly, silicea is of considerable help in the efficient union of broken bone and also helps in removing bone splinters.
4. Calcarea Carb – For Weak Bones Of Spine And Long Bones That Become Curved
Calcarea Carb is yet another natural medicine having wide action on bones. It is found to be effective in improving bone health and strengthening bones that are soft and brittle. This medicine can be used when the bones mainly of spine and bones which are long begin to become curved due to reduced bone mass. Calcarea Carb is also useful to reduce pain in bones. The pain can be boring, pulsating or stinging type.
5. Merc Sol – To Manage Bone Pain At Night
Merc Sol is suitable medicine to manage bone pains that are worse at night. There is pain in the bones with a feeling as if these are broken. The pain intensifies with touch.
6. Phosphorus – For Treating Curvature Of Spine In Osteoporosis
Phosphorus can give best results for people suffering from curvature of spine along with burning sensation in the spine. This natural remedy is also useful for treating pain and weakness of spine. The patient feels intense pain in the spine as if the spine is broken.
7. Hypericum – For Back Pain From Nerve Pinching From Damaged Vertebra
Hypericum is another useful natural medicine that can be confidently used for excessive pain in the back due to crushing of nerves in between damaged vertebral bones. The excessive pain and sensitivity in the back after fracturing of vertebral bones that gets worse by the slightest motion of the neck or arms can be efficiently controlled by Hypericum.
6. Ruta – To Assist In Repair Of Tendon, Ligaments Along With Fractured Bone
Ruta is yet another wonderful natural remedy employed in the treatment of fractures in osteoporosis. Whenever a bone gets fractured, the surrounding tendons and ligaments of bones also get damaged. It is in this sphere medicine Ruta shows its wonderful effect. This natural medicine helps in healing torn tendons and ligaments. It also helps in repairing the damaged bone. This remedy helps in decreasing pain, soreness, and stiffness around the fractured area mainly wrist fracture.
Causes And Risk Factors
Our bones are constantly undergoing remodeling which means the old bone is being removed by osteoclast cells and new bone is getting formed in its place by activity of osteoblast cells. When due to any reason the amount of old bone removed exceeds the amount of new bone formed the bones become weak, brittle. This may happen from many reasons as follows:
1. Age: The risk of osteoporosis increases with age for everyone. People above mid- 30s are at risk of osteoporosis and above 50 yrs age are at the highest risk of fracture due to osteoporosis. In young persons, new bone is produced more quickly in comparison to the old damaged bone that is breaking. As age advances, around age of mid 30s, what happens is that more bone is being lost than is being formed. So age plays a major role in osteoporosis.
2. Being a female: Females are more at risk of developing osteoporosis as compared to males. Women of menopausal age (45 yrs to 55 yrs) are more at risk due to increased loss of bone mass under the influence of changed hormones (lowered estrogen level).
3.Family history: Persons having someone in the family who have osteoporosis are at high risk to develop the same.
4. Sedentary lifestyle: Inactive lifestyle with prolonged sitting hours constantly with little or no physical activity
5. Low body weight and thin people who have small body frame
6. Low calcium and low vitamin D levels (vitamin D helps in the absorption of calcium)
7. Low levels of sex hormones: Decrease in hormone estrogen in women as occurring during menopause stands as major risk factor. Lowered testosterone levels also speed up bone loss.
8. Overactive thyroid gland (means hyperthyroidism) and overactive parathyroid gland are also linked with it
9. Certain medicines like prolonged steroid use, anti-seizure medicines, blood thinners are associated with it
10. Use of alcohol or tobacco in excess also contributes to osteoporosis
11. Having certain medical health conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), cancer, kidney/liver disease
What Are Its Signs And Symptoms?
Osteoporosis usually causes no symptoms in the initial phase. With the progression of the condition when bones get intensely weak, some signs and symptoms may become evident. These are as follows:
Pain in back or neck
Loss of height
Posture changes (stooping)
Easy fracture of bones (mainly in hip and spine), fracture may occur from a fall or even from a very light pressure when walking, standing and from strong coughing in some cases