The human shoulder is made up of a shoulder joint and different muscles, tendons and ligaments. The bones that participate to make shoulder joint are humerus, clavicle and scapula. It is one of the largest joints of the body that accommodates a wide range of movements. This complex joint is highly movable but is also one of the most unstable joints in the body. Any pain arising in the shoulder joint or the surrounding muscles, ligaments, and tendons is called shoulder pain. It can be attended with stiffness, swelling and restricted movement of shoulder depending on the cause behind it. Homeopathic medicines for shoulder pain provide relief by stimulating the body’s natural healing process. For long term relief in shoulder pain, the cause needs to be treated and homeopathic medicines relieve shoulder pain by following the same rule. Once the cause is addressed the pain reduces and also any swelling or stiffness (if present) gets better.
Other than the pain, homeopathic medicines help manage accompanying symptoms like stiffness, swelling, and tenderness. They further aim at decreasing any inflammation and help heal the muscles, tendons, and ligaments by encouraging natural healing within the body. These natural medicines for shoulder pain are made from natural substances and do not cause any side effects.
Homeopathic Medicines For Shoulder Pain
The most commonly indicated medicines for shoulder pain – Rhus Tox, Sanguinaria Canadensis, Ferrum Met, Bryonia Alba, Ruta Graveolens and Arnica.
1. Rhus Tox – Top Grade Medicine
When it comes to treat shoulder pain, Rhus Tox is a leading medicine. In cases needing it the pain may vary that can be tearing, shooting, stitching or burning type. Along with pain, stiffness, swelling and cracking in the shoulder joint is also present. The most characteristic feature to use it is shoulder pain worse from rest. It is better by movement. Rhus Tox is also one of the best medicine to manage shoulder pain arising from injury / overstraining / over stressing of muscles or tendons, inflamed tendons and joint inflammation.
When and How to use Rhus Tox?
It is used as a first line of treatment in cases of shoulder pain irrespective of the cause. In particular, it is well indicated for shoulder pain from injury or over straining of muscles or tendons, tendinitis and inflamed joints. Both low and high potencies of this medicine work well, however it is advised to begin with 30C potency. Rhus Tox 30C can be taken twice or thrice a day as per intensity of complaint.
2. Sanguinaria Canadensis – For Shoulder Pain On Right Side
Sanguinaria Canadensis is the most frequently prescribed medicine for shoulder pain on the right side. In cases needing it, there occurs difficulty in raising the arm due to excessive shoulder pain. This pain extends to the right upper arm. The pain usually worsens during night and while turning in bed.
When and How to use Sanguinaria Canadensis?
Its use is suggested for right-sided shoulder pain where it has given great clinical improvements. Its use is recommended in both low and high potency. It can be taken once or twice a day in 30 C potency but for high potency, kindly consult a homeopathic doctor.
3. Ferrum Met – For Left-Sided Shoulder Pain
Ferrum Met is most suitable for treating shoulder pain on the left side. The nature of shoulder pain is tearing, drawing or boring in nature. This pain may extend to upper arm or even below. Persons who need it have worsening of pain on movement and they are unable to raise their arm. Cracking sound may occur in shoulder joint on movement. There may occur relief in pain from warm compress over the shoulder.
When and How to use Ferrum Met?
This medicine should be specifically selected for left-sided shoulder pain to have an effective cure. The most commonly used potency of Ferrum Met is 30C that can be taken twice a day.
4. Bryonia Alba – For Shoulder Pain Worse From Movement
It is a natural medicine to treat shoulder pain that gets worse with the slightest movement. Resting helps ease the pain. The shoulder can also appear shiny-red and swollen. There may occur a tightness sensation in shoulder. The pain from the shoulder extends down the arm. Bryonia is an important medicine when shoulder pain occurs from inflamed joint.
When and How to use Bryonia Alba?
A person who experiences an increase in shoulder pain by movement and relief by resting can find this medicine highly effective. It can be taken in 30C potency two to three times a day for good results.
5. Ruta Graveolens – For Shoulder Pain Due To Injured Or Inflamed Tendons
Ruta Graveolens is a natural medicine obtained from the plant ‘garden rue’. It is an infallible medicine to manage shoulder pain due to injured or inflamed tendons. Shoulder pain that occurs due to overstretching of the shoulder tendons is also treatable with this medicine. It is used in cases where the shoulder is sore, bruised, and hanging the arms down worsens the pain. Ruta Graveolens helps reduce shoulder pain as well as the inflammation of tendons.
When and How to use Ruta Graveolens?
If an injured or inflamed tendon is giving rise to shoulder pain, Ruta should be given right away. It is the best medicine for treating cases of tendon injury or inflammation. Though Ruta may be used in different potencies, it is best to take 30C potency in the beginning. Ruta 30C can be taken two to three times a day. Higher potencies like 200C and 1M can also be taken afterwards but only after consulting homeopathic physician.
6. Arnica – For Shoulder Pain Post Injury
Arnica is a great herbal medicine to manage cases of shoulder pain that occurs after a shoulder injury. It works well when injury occur from a blow; fall; or from overuse of shoulder muscles, tendons; straining of muscles. This medicine helps in healing injured area. Alongside it relieves pain and soreness of the shoulder.
When and How to use Arnica?
Arnica should be used as a first remedy to manage shoulder pain arising from an injury, strain or overuse of muscles, tendons. Arnica acts most wonderfully in 30C potency. Arnica 30C can be taken three to four times a day. When relief appears, one may reduce its dose.
Causes Of Shoulder Pain
1. Frozen Shoulder (also known as adhesive capsulitis): It refers to pain and stiffness in shoulder joint from thickening and tightening of capsule that encloses shoulder joint. Keeping shoulder still for prolonged time period (like in case of fracture in arm, when recovering from a surgery) is a major risk factor for frozen shoulder.
2. Rotator cuff injury: Rotator cuff refers to collection of muscles and tendons which offer stability to shoulder and also help in its movement. Its injury includes inflammation of its tendons (rotator cuff tendinitis), strains (these occur from overuse and wear and tear of muscles) and tear of tendons (either partial or complete)
3. Tendinitis and Tendon tear: Tendinitis means inflamed tendons (tissue bands that connect muscle to a bone). An injury or degeneration in tendons of shoulders (rotator cuff tendons are common injured tendons) can lead to tendon tear. The tear may be partial or complete.
4. Impingement syndrome: Pinching of tendons of rotator cuff in shoulder bones
5. Sprain in shoulder: Twisting of ligaments (tissue bands that connect one bone to another bone) of shoulders
6. Shoulder Bursitis (subacromial bursitis): Bursa refers to fluid-filled sac in joint that reduce friction in joint structures to allow smooth movement of joint. Shoulder bursitis results when this bursa gets inflamed. It may happen from an injury or joint inflammation.
7. Shoulder Arthritis: It refers to inflamed shoulder joint. It may occur from osteoarthritis (degenerative changes in joints usually from age-related wear and tear or sometimes from an injury). It may also result from rheumatoid arthritis (an autoimmune disorder characterized by swollen, inflamed, painful, stiff joints) and septic arthritis (serious joint infection caused by bacteria or virus).
8. Overuse or repetitive use of shoulder leading to an injury
9. Bone spurs: Extra bony growths projecting along edge of bone
10. Bone Fracture in shoulder or dislocated shoulder
11. Nerve pinching in neck or shoulder
12. Referred pain: In some cases, shoulder pain occurs from a problem in a body part other than the shoulder itself, for example problem in liver, gallbladder. It is known as referred pain.