Cough is a common reflex action to clear the breathing passages and airways. A dry cough refers to a cough free from mucus or phlegm also known as non – productive cough. A dry cough is annoying and troublesome and makes a person restless. In some persons, dry cough occurs in a continuous spasm, making the person anxious. It may also cause difficulty in breathing and sleeping. A dry cough is very common in children and sensitive people.
Homeopathy works at a dynamic level on a person. The advantage of homeopathic medicines is that they stop the recurring tendency of the disease. These medicines are made up of natural substances and are very safe. Other conventional treatments distort the body’s natural healing processes and make the body dull. In homeopathy, the body’s restorative processes are used to bring it back to health. These medicines do not cause any side effects or slow down body processes.
Homeopathic Treatment For A Dry Cough
Top grade homeopathic medicines for a dry cough are Bryonia, Drosera, Spongia, Rumex, and Belladonna.
1. Bryonia – Top Medicine For Dry Cough
Bryonia is the top-most medicine for managing cases of dry cough. On coughing, pain may occur in head and chest. The pain is mainly stitching type. It feels as if the head and chest would break into pieces from pain. Pain may also be felt in abdominal muscles while coughing. The cough worsens from eating or drinking. At times, vomiting of food occurs while coughing. Bryonia is also indicated when cough increases when a person enters a warm room.
When and How to use Bryonia?
Bryonia is the most commonly used medicine for treating dry cough which can be considered as the first remedy in case of dry cough. It is a short-acting medicine that can be repeated frequently. Bryonia 30C can be taken three to four times a day as per intensity of cough. Once relief sets in, the dose can be reduced to once or twice a day.
2. Drosera – For Dry Cough At Night
Drosera is a natural medicine prepared from plant ‘round-leaved sundew’. It is the most important medicine to manage dry cough that gets worse at night. A very peculiar feature to use this medicine is cough as soon as a person lies down at night. Besides, this medicine is suitable when cough gets worse while laughing or singing. In some cases needing it, vomiting may occur with cough.
When and How to use this Drosera?
For dry cough that gets worse at night on lying down, Drosera should be recommended. Coming to dose and potency, its 30C potency is usually taken which can be used twice or thrice a day.
3. Spongia – For Dry Cough Which Gets Better By Warm Food Or Drinks
Spongia suits well when dry cough gets better by taking warm food or warm drinks. Cough is absolutely dry. Along with cough, burning may be felt in chest. Cough worsens from lying down and gets better by sitting up. In some cases, wheezing and weight in chest is felt. Along wth this, difficult breathing can be there which gets worse by talking or moving. Spongia is very effective for managing dry cough in bronchitis and asthma.
When and How to use Spongia?
If a person gets better in cough by intake of warm food or warm drinks, Spongia is the best remedy. Though it can be used in both low and high potencies, it is most frequently used in 30C potency. Spongia 30C can be taken two to three times a day based on cough severity
4. Rumex – For Dry Cough From Temperature Change From Cold To Warm Or Vice Versa
Rumex is a very effective medicine for dry cough that arise from sudden change of temperature from cold to warm or warm to cold. Cough happens from tickling/irritation in throat pit. Another very specific indication to use Rumex is cough that occurs by inhaling cold air. In majority of cases needing Rumex, cough is most troublesome during day. Along with cough, marked weakness is felt. Headache occur during cough. Sometimes few urine drops escapes involuntarily during cough.
When and How to use Rumex?
Rumex should be selected in dry cough cases that trigger from change of temperature from cold to warm or other way round. Rumex 30C can be taken once or twice a day to soothe the cough in such cases.
5. Belladonna – For Persistent Cough Day And Night
This herbal medicine is very useful when dry cough occurs day and night. It occurs from a tickling sensation in throat. Along with cough, the throat is red and inflamed. Headache may attend cough. Its use is also recommended for cough that arises from inhaling fine dust in air.
When and How to use Belladonna?
Belladonna can be used to calm the cough that persists day and night. This medicine in 30C potency can be taken three to four times a day.
Note One may use above mentioned homeopathic medicines for about one to two weeks. If no relief occurs in cough, it is strictly advised to seek consultation from a homeopathic physician. Also do not take high potencies without consulting a homeopathic doctor. In case of dry cough attended with breathing difficulty, or when associated with serious causes like COVID-19, Idiopathic lung fibrosis, lung cancer and heart failure, use of above medicines is not recommended, in such cases kindly take immediate help from conventional mode of treatment.
Causes Behind Dry Cough
1. Viral infections – Viral infections like common cold and flu can cause cough. In such cases, runny nose, nasal congestion, sneezing tend to resolve early but cough may take few weeks to resolve and in some even one to two months.
2. Upper respiratory tract infections (URTI): It refers to an infection of nose, pharynx, larynx, bronchi with virus or bacteria. Some examples include common cold, pharyngitis, and sinusitis.
3. Asthma:It is an inflammatory disease of airways in which airways swell, constrict and produce excessive mucus. Cough in asthma can be productive or dry but most of the time, it is dry along with its main symptom of difficulty in breathing, tightness in chest and also wheezing. However, in cough variant asthma (an asthma type) dry cough is main symptom.
4. Bronchitis: It refers to inflammation of bronchial tubes via which the air passes from the trachea to the lungs. In bronchitis cough is dry in initial stages but gets productive afterwards.
5. Post nasal drip: It means dripping of mucus from the back of the nose into the throat. PND tends to irritate nerves in the throat leading to cough.
6. Allergies: People suffering from nasal allergy (allergic rhinitis) can get cough along with other symptoms like runny nose, sneezing, itchy watery eyes.
7. COVID-19: Dry cough can be a symptom of COVID – 19. About 50 to 70 % people having coronavirus infection suffer dry cough along with other symptoms like fever, sore throat, weakness.
8. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): It refers to back flow of stomach acid into the food pipe and throat. This acid can cause cough by irritating the throat.
9. Air pollution, dust and smoke can also trigger dry cough.
10. A dry cough may be the result of overexertion or a psychological condition. Sometimes, people develop a habit of coughing, especially under stress or even without any stress.
11. Some other rare causes are idiopathic lung fibrosis (in this scar tissue forms in lungs), lung cancer and heart failure.
What Other Symptoms Can Attend Dry Cough?
Depending on the cause behind dry cough, the following signs and symptoms can attend:
1. Runny nose, nasal congestion
2. Sneezing, watery itchy eyes, post nasal discharge
3. Chest pain, headache
4. Breathing difficulty