Post-Thanksgiving, we bet you’ve got a fridge full of leftover turkey and all those sides. Don’t let those leftovers go to waste as you brace yourself for the impending winter holidays. Find classic recipes for leftover turkey like turkey soup, turkey casserole, turkey salad, and turkey pot pie — plus delicious twists on your favorites.
Here are some basic recipes for using those leftovers:
Leftover turkey soup
The recipe for this homemade turkey soup recipe is based in the traditional chicken noodle soup but we added a little twist. Besides homemade turkey stock we add leftover turkey pieces and instead of traditional egg noodles we throw in half a cup of giant couscous also known as Israeli couscous or pearl couscous.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion or 2 shallots
- 1 carrot, large
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 sprigs thyme or ½ tsp dried thyme
- 6 cups turkey or chicken stock
- ½ cup giant/pearl couscous
- 2 cups cooked turkey or chicken
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Saute chopped onion, celery, carrots and a clove of garlic with thyme leaves in oil and butter over low heat for 5 minutes. Add turkey or chicken stock, cooked turkey, bay leaves and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the giant couscous or noodles and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat until the couscous is tender. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
Simple Turkey Casserole
Leftover turkey stuffing casserole is an easy recipe made from Thanksgiving leftovers and a great way to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner again. Your whole family will love this delicious, easy meal!
- 3 cups cooked turkey roughly chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup gravy
- 1 cup cranberry sauce
- 2 cups cooked green beans
- 4 cups cooked stuffing
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease a casserole dish with non stick cooking spray
- Place turkey in the bottom of the casserole dish, and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Pour gravy over turkey, and spread to cover evenly.
- Add cranberry sauce and green beans evenly over the turkey mixture.
- Add stuffing, and spread evenly over other ingredients. Dot with butter, and cover with aluminum foil
- Place in preheated oven, and bake for 20 minutes covered, and 10 to 15 minutes uncovered or until steaming hot and stuffing is golden brown.