Rash behind the ear can be caused due to various reasons. It may be a result of an allergy, infection, or an autoimmune disease in which the infection-fighting cells of our body start destroying body’s healthy tissues by mistake. The rash may look red or pink. It may be dry or have blisters (fluid-filled bumps). Drainage from blisters, flakiness or scaliness may appear. There may be crusts, cracked skin or peeling of the skin. Irritation or itching is the most common symptom. Inflammation, burning and stinging pain can accompany. Depending on the cause behind it, there may be sore throat, runny nose, joint pains and fever along with the rash.
Homeopathy offers a very effective treatment for the cases of rash behind ears. It gives good results by aiming to treat the root cause behind it. Homeopathic medicines help to halt the further progression of rash and heal the already present rash in such cases. They also help to heal the blisters, cracks, flakes or scales on the skin. Along with this, they help to ease itching and burning that may be present. It is to be noted that in case fever attends the rash, then one should take help from conventional mode of treatment as it may indicate an infection that needs urgent medical help.
Homeopathic Medicines For Rash Behind Ears
1. Graphites – Top-Grade Medicine
Graphites is a very effective medicine for treating cases of rash behind the ears. In cases needing it, there are moist eruptions behind the ears. These ooze a thick, sticky, gluey discharge. Itching is well marked in them. The area behind the ear is also sore. There may be scabs behind ears in some cases. Sometimes cracks and fissures are also present. It is also indicated when there are scales on the rash behind the ear. It is one of the best medicines in homeopathy for treating cases of eczema and psoriasis behind ears.
2. Petroleum – For Marked Redness And Cracks Behind Ears
Use of this medicine is recommended for cases in which there is marked redness and cracks behind the ears. Intense itching attends it in most of the cases. Bleeding may also occur from the cracks. The area behind the ears is painful and sensitive to touch. In some cases needing it, there is moisture behind ears. It is a well-indicated medicine for cases of eczema and intertrigo.
3. Sulphur – For Dry Eruptions With Itching Burning Sensation
This is a well-indicated medicine for cases of dry eruptions behind the ears attended with itching and burning sensation. These tend to bleed easily due to scratching. Scabs may be present over them. Soreness and pain is also marked on the eruptions. Cracks may also appear behind ears. It is indicated for managing cases of eczema and fungal infection behind ears.
4. Psorinum – For Moist Eruptions Behind Ears
It is a very useful medicine for cases having moist eruptions behind the ears. There is rawness, redness and oozing behind ears. The discharge is offensive. Scabs are present too behind ears. In some cases, pustules (pus-filled eruptions) occur behind ears. It is an important medicine for managing eczema behind the ears.
5. Silicea – When Eruptions Discharge Pus
This medicine offers help for cases in which eruptions behind ears discharge pus. It is a foul-smelling discharge. Scabs also cover these eruptions. There is marked itching. On scratching, a burning sensation and soreness is felt. The eruptions may also occur on the rear part of the head where this medicine is required.
6. Mezereum – For Itchy Eruptions Oozing Gluey Discharge
It is prepared from fresh bark of a plant Daphne Mezereum also known as ‘spurge olive’. It works well in cases having itchy eruptions that ooze gluey discharge. The eruptions may also be present on the scalp. The eruptions may be covered with thick crusts and scabs. Pus may be present beneath the crusts.
7. Nitric Acid – For Marked Redness Behind Ears
It is a valuable medicine when there is marked redness behind the ears. Along with this, intense itching is felt. In some cases that require it, there is pus discharge from behind the ears.
8. Baryta Carb – For Eruptions Behind And On The Ears
Use of this medicine is considered when there are eruptions behind and on the ears. Scabs are present behind ears. Sometimes there is swelling of glands behind the ears.
9. Sanicula – For Soreness Behind Ears
It is useful when there is soreness behind the ears. Persons who need it may also have gluey, sticky discharge along with soreness. The discharge is usually white in colour.
10. Oleander – For Ulcers Around And In Ears
It is a natural medicine prepared from leaves of a plant ‘rose laurel’. It benefits those who have ulcers around and in the ears. Additionally, there may be oozing of serum from behind ears.
11. Tellurium – For Eczema Behind Ears With Thick Crusts
It is an effective medicine for persons who have eczema behind the ears with thick crust formation. Other than this, there are red spots. It is accompanied with fine blisters (fluid-filled bumps). The red spots and blisters may also be present on the back of the head and neck.
What Are The Causes?
1. Eczema (atopic dermatitis): It is a very common skin condition in which there is inflammation, redness, roughness and itching on the skin. In some cases, blisters, crusts or skin thickening can occur. Eczema can be dry while in others, it can be moist that oozes discharge. The most common type of eczema is atopic dermatitis. In this type, the immune system is overactive that triggers skin inflammation and damage.
2. Contact dermatitis: It refers to red, itchy, inflamed rash on the skin that occurs due to direct skin contact with an allergen or any allergic reaction. Some common allergens are cosmetics, soaps, jewellery. Its signs and symptoms include a red rash, dry skin, blisters on skin, cracked skin and scales on the skin. Itching, burning, swelling and tenderness may attend the above features.
3. Seborrheic dermatitis: It is another common skin condition in which mainly the scalp is affected. In these cases, there occurs red skin along with scaling, flakiness and dandruff. Other than the scalp, it may also affect eyebrows, eyelids, ears, face and chest.
4. Scalp psoriasis: It is an autoimmune skin condition characterized by red inflamed patches on the skin covered with scales on the scalp. The lesions may spread from scalp to the ears, neck and face. Itching and burning may be felt in lesions. Bleeding may also occur from scratching the lesions.
5. Fungal infection: In such cases, itchy rash occurs and blisters may form behind the ears. Scaling and skin peeling may also occur. Burning can attend. In some forms of fungal infection, red circular rashes appear.
6. Lichen planus: It can be one of the reasons for rashes behind the ears. It is an autoimmune condition that can affect skin, nails and mucous membranes. The lesions in this condition are purple-colored, flat, itchy bumps on the skin. Most commonly affected skin area in this is wrist, inner forearm, and ankle. In some cases, the area around and inside the ear may be affected too and it is referred as otic lichen planus in such cases.
7. Measles: It is a viral infection which begins with cold, fever, cough and red eyes. This is followed by a skin rash that begins from the back of ears and then spreads to the head and neck followed by the rest of the body parts.
8. Rubella: It is also known as ‘German measles’ and is a viral infection in which skin rash occurs that may start behind the ears and neck after which it spreads downwards. Its other signs and symptoms may include runny nose, joint pain, headache and loss of appetite.
9. Lupus: It is an autoimmune disorder in which skin rash can occur. The rash that occurs has ring-shaped lesions with redness and scaling, and areas like face, ears, arms, legs, and neck can be affected.
10. Pityriasis rosea: It is a skin condition in which a pink, scaly rash occurs. In some cases, it can be itchy while in others it is not.
Some Causes In Babies And Toddlers
First is intertrigo which is a rash that occurs between skin folds.
Second is cradle cap which is a very common condition in infants in which oily scales or crusts form on the scalp of the baby. The scales can be white or yellow. It is attended with redness. This condition may extend to eyelids, ears and nose in some cases.